Monday, June 22, 2009

MANCAT MONDAY: GENTLECAT OR RUFFIAN?


























These pictures document a series of events that took place in my cat garden just yesterday. I realized after looking at them, that they would make a good post for Mancat Monday, even though my little tuxy girl, Domino, was also involved.

In the beginning, Dante comes along and gently greets Dylan who is standing on the bench. Dante then spies Domino coming down the drive, a little way off. Dante very calmly watches as Domino approaches, and greets her with no fanfare, then lets her pass without incident.

Now witness Dylan's approach! He has been watching Domino, too, but waits until she's in the purrone pawsition before he makes his move. Now, this is something that Dylan tends to do a lot -- Domino finds him furry objectionable -- and indeed in this case, it wasn't long before she let out a yowl, bucked him off, and fled in the direction of the front door.

I understand that Dylan's behaviour is instinctual, and even though he is neutered, these feelings don't go away. However, Dante seems to have control of his urges and behaves in a distinctly gentlecatly way.

Some may think that Dylan is the real mancat because he follows his spontaneous nature, but I think that Dante embodies the true essence of a mancat because he is able to put his regard fur ofurs ahead of himself.

I love both my mancats, but Dylan just needs to grow up -- like a lot of manbeans out there. Moderation in all things, I say, including jumping on your sisfur's back!

So what do you say? Is a true mancat a ruffian, or is he a gentlecat?

10 comments:

8GR8LOLCATS said...

I'd say a gentlecat who just can't seem to help himself around his sweet-petite and oh so neat little sisFUR! Our Moony is the same way with the girls...

Quill and Greyson said...

I like a gentleman cat like Dante.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Just like a boy! Kirby needs to grow up too! He,too, exhibits these instincts and Angel fights back!

Shaggy and Scout said...

An interesting study in pictuers. We say the gentleman cat is the true mancat!
Domino is so small in contrast to those big guys! She seems quite patient too!

Anonymous said...

Dylan is a bit of a ruffian, but Domino seems to know how to take care of that!

Milo and Alfie said...

Dylan is a bit ruffian like - but Domino is a true lady and stands up for herself.

The Monkeys said...

It looks like Domino has to deal with both kinds of Mancats! She does it beautifully

Everycat said...

Dylan is like our bro' Oliver, he does this to Angel, but only after he's given her head a good schlurping with his big tongue. Oliver seems to suddenly realise what he's doing and then runs off - shocked! We say gentlecat with secret ruffian tendencies if that's allowed ;)

Whicky Wuudler

The Island Cats said...

Yikes! I hope Ernie doesn't get any ideas about me!! I don't think I hafta worry about Wally at all since he won't get near me!

Zoey

Mouchois said...

Hehe.
He's just a teaser tom! My cat Janse did the same thing. Our vet actually used him to help all those unspayed kitties get out of heat.
I pimped my poor kitty out!